urpmi and apt-get

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 25 15:12:06 UTC 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:26:26 -0500
Lloyd D Budd <lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > However, today for example, I upgraded the kernel:
> >
> > urpmi --update kernel
> >
> > urpmi --update kernel-source
> >
> > then run the NVIDIA installer, and boom I'm up again, with LILO configured
> > automagically. I'm hoping the new kernel (2.4.22-21) will prove more stable,
> > but
> > if it doesn't, is apt similar in it's "user friendliness"?
>
> apt-get is @ least as friendly.
>
> > Like when I update
> > Apache, it's not going to require me to reconfigure, apt-get does the
> > necessary
> > fiddly bits for me?
> It shouln't.
>

> > I don't mind having to learn a bit more about the guts of my
> > system, quite the contrary, but I'm not looking for *too* much of a leap,
> > like
> > Slack or Gentoo.
>
> The leap to Debian is no smaller than to Slack or Gentoo.

Really? From what I've seen of people's experience with those two on other
forums, it can be a real long hard road to getting a fully functioning system.
As long as I can get CD burning and MPlayer workin', I'm happy.

If you mean GUI config tools, I don't really use all those GUI tools that come
with Mandrake anyway, I'm much more comfy at the CLI with configuration, so I
can see what's going on in detail. The main thing I'm looking for is great
package management and stability. I miss the old MDK 9.1 days, uptimes of 2
weeks or more were not unheard of... :-(

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046