[TLUG] (remote) install fest

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 18 04:51:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:58:28PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > Incorrect.  PXE is about getting a kernel loaded into memory, the same
> > job and purpose as etherboot, netboot or romamatic.  PXE facilitates
> > LTSP it definitely does not obsolete it.
>
> Here we go again...  After you boot and mount NFS root, you're looking
> at the root tree that used to be local harddisk (except now it's
> remote).  You tell me why LTSP is necessary.

Perhaps the workstations are decrepit and/or have too little
memory to run apps and X at an appropriate speed.  LTSP creates
thin clients.  Mounting your root filesystem over NFS creates a
thick client, which runns all applications locally only saves you
the cost of remote administration and hard disks.

--
taa

   The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering
   iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.
/*eof*/