[TLUG] (remote) install fest

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 18 05:34:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:51:16PM -0700, Taavi Burns wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:58:28PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > > Incorrect.  PXE is about getting a kernel loaded into memory, the same
> > > job and purpose as etherboot, netboot or romamatic.  PXE facilitates
> > > LTSP it definitely does not obsolete it.
> >
> > Here we go again...  After you boot and mount NFS root, you're looking
> > at the root tree that used to be local harddisk (except now it's
> > remote).  You tell me why LTSP is necessary.
>
> Perhaps the workstations are decrepit and/or have too little
> memory to run apps and X at an appropriate speed.  LTSP creates
> thin clients.  Mounting your root filesystem over NFS creates a
> thick client, which runns all applications locally only saves you
> the cost of remote administration and hard disks.

Ah, I see where's the confusion.  Once you mount NFS root, you have a
"normal" root tree.  So, this is no different from your fully loaded
computer.  How do you get the remote server to open XDM login prompt on
your screen.  Essentially, you do 'X -query server', right?

With X-terminal, we automate this by modifying /etc/inittab.  In
Slackware, run level 4 is XDM mode and it will run /etc/rc.d/rc.4.  You
can edit that, or assign unused run level 5 for X-terminal purpose.  You
can also trim NFS root tree, because once X is up, everything will be
run on the server.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>