[TLUG] (remote) install fest

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 17 22:03:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:52:45PM -0500, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:56:42 -0500, William Park wrote:
>
> > I am interested in thin client aspect.  I'm Slackware guy, but there
> > shouldn't be too much of difference with Debian, as long as XFree86
> > and Kernel are uptodate.
>
> Yeah, the Linux Terminal Server project is the popular thing for this.

Actually, LTSP, Etherboot, Netboot, Rom-a-matic, and friends are pretty
much obsolete now.  With PXE support (ie. 3c905), you can boot and mount
NFS root; after that, the client is looking at "normal" root tree as it
would from local harddisk.

> > - How many PCs do you have for Linux X-terminal?  If you don't have
> > enough, then multiple cpu-less stations (ie. monitor/keyboard/mouse)
> > can be set up.
>
> 10 or so.  There's been a recent donation of low-end P1, 32M machines,
> perfect for this.

Excellent.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>