(remote) install fest

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 16 14:20:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:

> We've got a donation of a Netfinity 5500 server that we will be installing
> Debian on this week.  It's in a location we can't always access, so I was
> planning to boot with Knoppix and then do a debrootstrap install at our
> leisure over SSH.  So, if you or anyone else wants to come around and

May I suggest you look into configuring a software serial console and
either put it in the back of another server or connect it to a modem. As
always assess your security needs when allowing access to the console.

If there is someone on-site who can connect the console modem to the phone
network on request (and disconnect it afterwards), a console on dialup
probably isn't too insecure.

Connecting the serial console to another box which is accessible only via
ssh is also good as long as you trust the owners of the other box.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net