More "end of the desktop PC"

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 15 16:46:23 UTC 2003

I've been reading articles like this for years now, in various forms proclaiming
that the home desktop PC is a flawed and obsolete model, and that all of our
software should be run from secure servers instead.

Personally, they can take my desktop when they pry it from my cold dead hands,
but I'm curious about how others see this issue. Of course there's nothing
*inherantly* wrong with relinquishing some control to networked servers, but
dare we trust our software when we don't have ultimate control over it locally,
especially when we are talking about proprietary, closed source software that we
cannot see what's "under the hood"?

Link:

http://rss.com.com/2010-7355_3-5118280.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news

--