More "end of the desktop PC"

Terrence Enger tenger-ew0EfhANLmVEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 15 17:26:15 UTC 2003

At 11:46 2003-12-15 -0500, JoeHill wrote:

> I've been reading articles like this for years now, in various forms
proclaiming
> that the home desktop PC is a flawed and obsolete model, and that all of our
> software should be run from secure servers instead.
>
> Personally, they can take my desktop when they pry it from my cold dead
hands,
> but I'm curious about how others see this issue. Of course there's nothing
> *inherantly* wrong with relinquishing some control to networked servers, but
> dare we trust our software when we don't have ultimate control over it
locally,
> especially when we are talking about proprietary, closed source software
that we
> cannot see what's "under the hood"?

Well, I have become very comfortable indeed trusting
proprietary software.  But I do not willingly extend that
trust in the PC world.  It is with the IBM iSeries and its
predecessors that--after long experience--I feel so
comfortable.

BTW, I have *earned* these grey hairs.  My experience
extends back to the time when proprietary mainframe
operating systems came with source code.  But times change.
The bad news is that I can no longer submit patches with my
bug reports on system software.  The good news is that I
scarcely remember the last time I saw a bug in the system
software.

Terry.