OT: keyboard layouts

misterbonnie bonnie-grKYUO1WUpSaMJb+Lgu22Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 18:26:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Jing Su wrote:

> > > Isn't Dvorak supposed to speed up typing?
>
> I think that the true benefit of Dvorak is added comfort.
> As someone else mentioned before, Qwerty sets keys far apart to prevent
> adjacent jamming, which seems to also increase typing speed.  I find
> that the effect of Dvorak is that it "load balances" the often used keys
> and reduces the number of "long jumps" your finger has to do (ie index
> finger travelling long distances to hit commonly used combos, like 'ny')
> --
the other thing you might want to consider is how many other computers you
use over the course of the day

i probably alternate between around 10 workstations at home,
work and other people's places... so even if dvorak were that awesome,
knowing it too well would fuck you up when you go to use another
machine...

mister bonnie