OT: keyboard layouts

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 12 18:15:21 UTC 2003

> > Isn't Dvorak supposed to speed up typing?

I think that the true benefit of Dvorak is added comfort.
As someone else mentioned before, Qwerty sets keys far apart to prevent
adjacent jamming, which seems to also increase typing speed.  I find
that the effect of Dvorak is that it "load balances" the often used keys
and reduces the number of "long jumps" your finger has to do (ie index
finger travelling long distances to hit commonly used combos, like 'ny')