YYZTechA new computer newspaper for Toronto?

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 11 04:38:25 UTC 2003

>     Dislike:
>
>         Too many advertisements. (Actually, any, but that's not realistic.)

As William Park observed, this is the way these "rags" make money, so
that their _real_ purpose is to have ads, and a bit of writing, as
filler, to both fill space not sold, as well as to provide an extra
reason for readers to pick it up and browse through.

If you look carefully at most of the "computer monthlies," you will also
notice that the 'articles' are thinly veiled ads to encourage people to
buy the newest interesting products.

If the desire is to recreate something akin to TCJ (The Computer
Journal) <http://www.hytherion.com/tcj/>, a mostly-CP/M journal,
MicroCornucopia (a really neat journal), or The Perl Journal, keep in
mind, first, that these are all defunct.  Remember also that they were
all quite expensive because they had minimal advertising.

I am unconvinced that this can "work," commercially, now, because it is
so much easier to do Internet-based publishing that does not need to
have geographic ties.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','cbbrowne.com').
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html