Hard drive recovery

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 9 17:28:36 UTC 2003

Robert Brockway wrote:
> When building a backup solution, resources allowing, I will setup a
> staging area on disk somewhere to hold backups.  From the staging area the
> backups can go off site by the chosen means.

Bandwidth allowing, it can be useful to have your backup-staging machine
at the far end of a fat connection, so that once you've done your
physical backups from it they're already offsite with regard to the live
servers, and you don't have to cart them halfway across $DEITY's green
earth.

Some organizations with more than one site, and fibre between, have each
back up the other, for example.

Rsync can be your friend, in this regard, allowing you to keep a mirror
of your data at minimal bandwidth cost.

--
Anthony de Boer