Hard drive recovery

John Macdonald jmm-TU2q2He6PgRlD5gtYiU6kEEOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 8 16:11:39 UTC 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:30:22PM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I've been thinking about a talk on backup best practice for TLUG.  I went
> in to this a little at the end of my optimization[1] talk but have we had
> anything else like this recently?

We could go from the sublime to the ridiculous and
give a pair of talks.  (Each listener could choose
which was sublime and which ridiculous.)

I could describe the technical aspects of EMC hardware
and software.  That includes high end storage systems
capable of:

- accomodating and routing around communication
  failures in a storage network

- transparently maintaining multiple copies of live
  data, both local and remote

- transparently making point in time copies of live
  data, again either locally or remotely

I could also provide some info about the complications
that can occur when you try to copy data that includes
live databases - there are a number of ways that you
can end up with errors or problems unless you take
special care.