KDE/Mandrake 9.1

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 17:03:16 UTC 2003

JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:19:27 -0500
> Clive DaSilva <cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > Had a really weird experience yesterday. I have been running mandrake
> > 9.1 with the stock kernel 2.4.21-013mdk, for perhaps  3 months.
> > I read an advisory which suggested that I upgraded the kernel to
> > 2.4.21-026mdk, (all nicely packaged by the Drake folks), as a
> > preventative measure against some root exploits. I use KDE 3.1 as the
> > window manager, and since I've installed this kernel, KDE sometimes
> > doesn't come up when I login as a user (it just hangs), or it comes up
> > and crashes within 5 minutes. I have since been using IceWM as my backup
> > window manager. Now, I've kept the old kernel, so I have a choice of
> > kernels to boot from. When I try to run KDE using the old kernel, it
> > crashes too.
>
> I haven't seen anything like this come up on any of the Mandrake lists, but I
> would suggest asking as well on Expert.
>
> Do you see anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/XFree86.0.log?
>
> It could be that KDE was compiled against the old kernel and is pitching a fit
> now that newer modules are being loaded, though why when you boot into the *old*
> kernel would hence be a mystery.

Someone here had a similar problem using a new motherboard with a not yet
well supported video adapter.  Only the VESA driver worked but KDE kept
crashing.  Could the new Mandrake kernel have some graphics related drivers
that could be triggering the problem?  I'm thinking particulary about things
like DRM.  Use lsmod to compare the modules loaded with the old kernel
against those loaded with the new kernel.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada