C considered harmful: was Debian attacker may have used new exploit

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 4 09:27:08 UTC 2003

Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 23:30, Henry Spencer wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> Hell, even Prolog and the many species of LISP-type-languages are
> interesting in their own right (though not terribly useful in my mind).

LISP not useful?  Sacrilege!  I'm responding to this with Gnus, still
arguably one of the best mail/news clients, running within Xemacs, still
arguably one of the best programmers' editors (vi/emacs flame wars
notwithstanding), written in a dialect of LISP.

> But if you fit well into a specific category of application development
> then there is a whole host of better choices for you.  For instance, next
> major GUI application I write will probably be in Java [....]

You might find this article, by one of the LISP community's greats, both
interesting and on topic:

    http://www.paulgraham.com/javacover.html

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada