C considered harmful: was Debian attacker may have used new exploit

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 4 17:56:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 04:27, Tim Writer wrote:
> Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 23:30, Henry Spencer wrote:
> > > On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> > Hell, even Prolog and the many species of LISP-type-languages are
> > interesting in their own right (though not terribly useful in my mind).
>
> LISP not useful?  Sacrilege!  I'm responding to this with Gnus, still
> arguably one of the best mail/news clients, running within Xemacs, still
> arguably one of the best programmers' editors (vi/emacs flame wars
> notwithstanding), written in a dialect of LISP.

Alright alright, I give, LISP is certainly more useful than a lot of
languages and people have done some interesting things in them :)

> > But if you fit well into a specific category of application development
> > then there is a whole host of better choices for you.  For instance, next
> > major GUI application I write will probably be in Java [....]
>
> You might find this article, by one of the LISP community's greats, both
> interesting and on topic:
>
>     http://www.paulgraham.com/javacover.html

To each their own opinion but if you want to do OOP then there really
isn't a better language out there than Java.  From my point of view Java
is C++ done relatively right from the language perspective.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>