SMC Cable/DSL 4port router

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 2 16:06:33 UTC 2003

James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Terry Tanski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Anyone have any comments on the SMC Cable/DSL 4port router (SMC7004VBR)?
> > How does it compare to the DLINK (604) or the LinkSys (SR41)? Does it have
> > half-decent firewall capabilities?
>
> > Terry
>

> I have the wireless version of that.  It seems to be OK.  What capabilities
> were you looking for?

Well, I worked on the wireless version for a while and was not at all
impressed.  The firewalling capabilities are only applicable to the Internet
connection, i.e. you cannot firewall your wireless LAN from your traditional
LAN.  You can use MAC based ACLs to prevent wireless users from going out to
the Internet but you can't stop them from accessing your wired LAN.  You can
also restrict wireless traffic but you can't implement a deny by default
policy, i.e. you cannot deny everything except the few services you want to
allow, you can only deny specific services.

The bottom line: as long as you're not using wireless and you're using NAT,
it will give you a basic level of protection simply due to the use of private
IPs with NAT.  IOW, it's okay for a simple home setting but I wouldn't use it
in a business setting.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada