Selling Linux ??

Julian C. Dunn - Lists lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 1 02:56:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 19:24, William Park wrote:

> 1.  Does anyone know who is currently selling (Linux based) X-terminals?
>
>     X-terminal is the "canonical" solution for many situations.  And, recent
>     development in PXE network booting makes
> 	Etherboot, Netboot, Rom-a-matic, LTSP (Linux Terminal Server
> 	Project), Mknbi-linux, Imggen, ...
>     all obsolete.  If you have 3c905 (what I have), then you can boot
>     over network without above packages.  I'm told you can also do that
>     with Intel's ethernet card, as expected since PXE is Intel spec.

*Some* of those components would be obsolete with PXE. Etherboot/Netboot
in particular. However LTSP has to do with the infrastructure on the
server-side, so it is by no means obsoleted by the ability to netboot
within the NIC's firmware.

> 2.  Do you think there is much demand for 2, 3, or 4 users logging onto
>     single computer?  ie. "Linux mainframe".
>
>     That is, multiple sets of monitors, keyboards, and mouses hooked up
>     to single computer; much like serial terminals, but with XDM.  This
>     would be primarily aimed at home market, where you want to have one
>     computer serving 2, 3, or 4 users, but don't want to buy 2, 3, or 4
>     separate computers.

Earlier this year a fellow from a company called Display Works (?) did a
presentation at TLUG about how he converted his company's internal staff
to all use diskless X terminals running off a few Compaq servers running
Linux with LTSP. I'm sure someone has the slides from his presentation
sitting around somewhere.

- Julian

--
[    Julian C. Dunn <jdunn-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> * <julian at dreaming.org>      ]