Selling Linux ??

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 1 00:24:56 UTC 2003

1.  Does anyone know who is currently selling (Linux based) X-terminals?

    X-terminal is the "canonical" solution for many situations.  And, recent
    development in PXE network booting makes
	Etherboot, Netboot, Rom-a-matic, LTSP (Linux Terminal Server
	Project), Mknbi-linux, Imggen, ...
    all obsolete.  If you have 3c905 (what I have), then you can boot
    over network without above packages.  I'm told you can also do that
    with Intel's ethernet card, as expected since PXE is Intel spec.

2.  Do you think there is much demand for 2, 3, or 4 users logging onto
    single computer?  ie. "Linux mainframe".

    That is, multiple sets of monitors, keyboards, and mouses hooked up
    to single computer; much like serial terminals, but with XDM.  This
    would be primarily aimed at home market, where you want to have one
    computer serving 2, 3, or 4 users, but don't want to buy 2, 3, or 4
    separate computers.

Any comments or insights would be appreciated.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>