Grub Not Starting

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 29 15:30:03 UTC 2003

Apologies in advance for the total newbie-ness of this question, but I
can't seem to figure this one out.

I've managed to shrink the ntfs partition my Inspiron shipped with
thanks to Fraser's tip.  I've set up swap on hda2 and Gentoo on hda3.  I
followed the gentoo docs on setting up grub on the MBR (hda or hd0), but
every time it boots I get:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB Loading, please wait...

Then nothing.

The good news is that I can boot both XP and Gentoo using a grub boot
floppy and typing in my grub.conf manually.  That leaves me with the
impression that there's something wrong with the way I'm setting up
grub.  The docs said to do the following in grub:
> root (hd0,2)
> setup (hd0)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,