Windows refund: stymied

Ian Goldberg linux-cOjNTMaGA5U at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 29 01:54:59 UTC 2003

I spent all afternoon on the phone with Dell.  It turns out the Windows
refund issue didn't even come up, because (get this), when you boot the
computer, you're presented with a *Dell* screen that forces you to say
you've read and agreed to all the EULAs for the software on the system.

Trick is, they don't give them to you.

No one at Dell seemed perplexed by this.  I was being forced to say I've
read agreements I don't have.  So we didn't even get to the bit where I
could point to the "refund" clause in the Windows EULA, since I was
never presented with it in the first place.

The whole story:

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/dell.html

This is the next level above "click-through" licenses. Now, they figure
no one reads the EULAs anyway, so why bother even providing a copy?
They'll click "I've read and agreed" anyhow.

Ugh.

   - Ian