Drive Imaging with dd

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 20:54:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:21, Jim Rootham wrote:
> I would suspect (with almost no evidence) that you may be missing latency
> windows (especially on write).  It would not take too many times for the disk
> to have to spin (almost) all the way round to hammer the total transfer rate
> pretty good.   If you could get more buffers in the pipe that might help.
>
> Jim

I have the same suspicion.  Is there any way to control pipes in bash?
I was thinking of piping the data through dd again with a different
block size to try and make a quasi-buffer, but I don't think that'll be
very efficient.

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611