Drive Imaging with dd

Jim Rootham jim.rootham-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 20:21:56 UTC 2003

>On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 11:47, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Have you looked at top while running dd with gzip?  Might be CPU
>> limited.
>>
>> Lennart Sorensen
>
>With gzip set anywhere between -2 and -7 I seem to get around 15-25%
>idle time, which seems to indicate that there's enough processor time.
>It does bounce around a lot though, anywhere between 97% to 60% use for
>gzip.

I would suspect (with almost no evidence) that you may be missing latency
windows (especially on write).  It would not take too many times for the disk
to have to spin (almost) all the way round to hammer the total transfer rate
pretty good.   If you could get more buffers in the pipe that might help.

Jim