Windows refund experience?

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 11:45:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>
> > The new Dell laptop just arrived by Purolator.  I've got the Debian
> > install CD at the ready, but before I do anything, does anyone have
> > (local, or at least Canadian) experience with trying to get a Windows
> > refund from a manufacturer?
>
> Check this out...
>
> http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html

(from netcraft.com.au:)

> 3.      At the time of purchase did he notify the vendor that he did
>          not want the standard MS operating system?

My vendor was aware before I purchased the computer that I did not
want the standard MS operating system.  My vendor had already informed
me that it was not possible to have Windows removed from the computer
before purchasing it.

> 5.       Mr Bennett states that he "refrained from using the
>           software, and .... completely removed it without creating
>           any backup". How was this accomplished? When was the
>           Operating System deleted?

I removed the operating system by connecting the floppy disk drive,
inserting a Red Hat Linux boot floppy, turning on the computer,
deleting all partitions on the hard disk, and installing Linux.  I did
this on the same day I received the computer.

   If there's anyone else wanting to do a similar thing, I think that the
   important things are:
     * Check  the  license agreement. Look for something like ``If you do
       not agree to the terms of this EULA, PC Manufacturer and Microsoft
       are  unwilling  to  license  the  SOFTWARE PRODUCT to you. In such
       event,  you  may  not  use  or  copy the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, and you
       should promptly contact PC Manufacturer for instructions on return
       of the unused products(s) for a refund.''
     * As the first thing you do with the computer after you purchase it,
       boot  from  a floppy and delete the Windows partition. If you boot
       Windows  even  once,  you  will  probably  be  considered  to have
       accepted  the  agreement. To prevent any arguments later, it would
       be  best to delete the partition while you are still in the store,
       with the salesperson watching.
     * Contact  your  manufacturer  immediately,  and say that you do not
       agree  to  the  terms  of  the EULA and would like instructions on
       return of the unused Microsoft Software for a refund.