cupsys vs lpd Re:debian/woody powrpc + /dev/lp* + serial

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 14:14:07 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well you could install the cupsys printer system (much much better than
> lpr/lpd) and the approrpaite cupsomatic/foomatic packages to get
> http://localhost:631 working and see if using the web interface it works
> then.  It has a pretty good list of printers and ports to choose from.
>
> Assuming the cable is right, that should do something.  Well hopefully.

Thanks for the tip.  See my post to Peter earlier today.  I prefer to get
into the stuff I know, albeit poorly.  I think the concept of web
interface is good, but it requires httpd to work and adds another level of
indirection.  This is fine if you want/like a m$-type interface, but not
if you want to get under the hood.  Why replicate m$ behaviour?

When you get down to it, IMHO, "cat"
is the way to go.  lpd is second best (1 level of indirection).  cupsys is
third (multiple levels of indirection; httpd required).  (Yes, I know that
if you extend my logic, I'd be talking to the printer in hex.)

Is cupsys an interface to /etc/printcap?

The cable works all right.