Good news: blender is now free

Sidney Shapiro sidney-3Kd7Tu4o6f/sBN0MCq728g at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 25 17:25:39 UTC 2003

> The 3d rendering and animation package is now (and has been for a
while ?)
> free and open source. Go to:
>
> www.blender3d.org
>
> Peter

Thanks for the link Peter, I checked out Blender, and I must say, the
stuff some people have made with it is fantastic. That said, to get
going is harder than I though with the layout not being very intuitive
and having to buy the docs to get started. If these guys keep working on
it, perhaps they can jazz up the interface to rival 3DS or similar. I am
a total convert to the cross platform compatibility aspect, its amazing
that you can work on your MAC/PC, and throw the file onto a linux box
for rendering without problems. In my tests, I was getting 50-100% speed
improvements, if not higher.

Sid