City of Toronto using Linux (on the desktop, yet!)

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 23 14:15:07 UTC 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Phillip Mills wrote:

> ===== If it hurts, don't do it. =====
>
> 	Each time I read an article about another worm or virus attacking
> computer systems (Blaster Worm hampering power repair, Aug. 20; Viruses
> eat away at firms' productivity, Aug. 21), I am dismayed that the
> authors portray the affected organizations as victims.  Damage from
> malicious computer code is not at all like the result of some
> mysterious, chaotic force of nature; it is the predictable outcome of a
> business decision.
> 	The very design of some Microsoft products, emphasizing convenience
> over security, invites and enables attacks of technological vandalism.
> Since at least the Melissa virus (1999) and the Code Red worm (2001),
> we've known that exposing Microsoft mail and server software to the
> Internet increases the risk of damage and downtime compared to all the
> safer -- and often cheaper -- alternatives.  It's the business
> equivalent of smoking cigarettes in a public place: it can kill you
> while it harms and annoys those around you.
> 	For companies to put themselves at unnecessary risk is a waste of
> their resources.  For government organizations to do so is an abuse of
> the public trust.
>
> 		    =====

"It's the equivalent of smoking cigarettes in a place of business:
this boorish behaviour can kill you while it harms and annoys your
co-workers."

Do you think the community of TLUG would consider sending
this letter to the Globe and Mail, signed onto it as individuals:

"Phillip Mills and 100 other members of Toronto Linux Users Group"

???

I'd add my voice if someone can cobble the requisite technology
together... (does this listserv get read on Saturday?  If Monday ed is
not practical, Wed ed would be.)

We should be able to do this with a minimum number of a dozen signatories,
IMHO.