City of Toronto using Linux (on the desktop, yet!)

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 23 12:05:10 UTC 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 05:20 PM, Max Blanco wrote:

> I didn't see your letter in today's online version of the G+M.

Doesn't look like I made the cut.  Conversely, there's an article in
this morning's business section about heroic IT workers putting in long
hours to cope with worms, viruses, and electrical blackouts.
Aaaarrrrrghhh!

(I was once the coworker of a Help Desk manager who was very proud of
the enormous number of calls his staff handled each week.  Ummm, what
if you provided systems that didn't need that much support?  Hmmmm?)

> Care to share?

Sure.

===== If it hurts, don't do it. =====

	Each time I read an article about another worm or virus attacking
computer systems (Blaster Worm hampering power repair, Aug. 20; Viruses
eat away at firms' productivity, Aug. 21), I am dismayed that the
authors portray the affected organizations as victims.  Damage from
malicious computer code is not at all like the result of some
mysterious, chaotic force of nature; it is the predictable outcome of a
business decision.
	The very design of some Microsoft products, emphasizing convenience
over security, invites and enables attacks of technological vandalism.
Since at least the Melissa virus (1999) and the Code Red worm (2001),
we've known that exposing Microsoft mail and server software to the
Internet increases the risk of damage and downtime compared to all the
safer -- and often cheaper -- alternatives.  It's the business
equivalent of smoking cigarettes in a public place: it can kill you
while it harms and annoys those around you.
	For companies to put themselves at unnecessary risk is a waste of
their resources.  For government organizations to do so is an abuse of
the public trust.

		    =====

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development