SCO has valid case

Lloyd D Budd lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 22 22:49:51 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 17:59, Rick Tomaschuk may have wrote:

> My understanding is that SCO owns copyrights and trademarks for
> UNIX SYSTEM V.
Err...but it is debatable whether they own the trademark to UNIX.  IBM
had a special contractually arrangement with AT&T.  The other UNIX(s)
that IBM bought have not had their agreements released.

> Most other (nearly all) UNIXes are
> based upon licences from SYSTEM V (AT&T) so SCO is at the root of the
> UNIX tree.
Most?  Many UNIX seem to be from mixed origin.

It is not clear to me how relevant other item is, but there is a *huge*
amount of interesting information on the net related to this.

> As for reporters and their articles I've read and will continue to read all I
> can find.
Rick, prior to the briefing where you well versed on the information
available?

I find it difficult to believe that you have read everything that you
can find.  Otherwise, I do not know how you could suggest:
> MY UNDERSTANDING is that it is not SCO's intention to undermine the
> Linux effort but rather to survive as a "for profit" company in a free
> market.

profit> some have suggested that there has been stock sell off of
interesting quantity

free market> cringe

If you are genuinely interested, it appears there is a lot of material
available that you might not have read thoroughly.  slashdot is a good
place to start as they provide links to pretty much all of the articles
I was aware of before I got bored of the topic after many, many articles
over many, many days,
Lloyd

P.S. This is unlikely be resolved any year soon.