SCO has valid case

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkNbK0NzMECUg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 22 21:59:35 UTC 2003

Having viewed the presentation, SCO has a convincing argument to claim
damages from IBM for 2.4-2.6 kernel for multirocessor, JFS, etc. code.
MY UNDERSTANDING is that it is not SCO's intention to undermine the
Linux effort but rather to survive as a "for profit" company in a free
market. Provisions will be made for Linux...stay tuned to SCO! As for
the "greek" code or otherwise in the powerpoint this was how it was
presented PRIOR to NDA. My understanding is that SCO owns copyrights
and trademarks for UNIX SYSTEM V. Most other (nearly all) UNIXes are
based upon licences from SYSTEM V (AT&T) so SCO is at the root of the
UNIX tree.  I'm as amazed to hear all this as is everyone. As for
reporters and their articles I've read and will continue to read all I
can find.
RickT

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:10:19 +0300, "E K" <ekgab-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote :

> <P>I have seen the ppt pages that you are refering. However, that is
to naive to me (surprisingly the greek characters that you saw are a
result of primitive font mapping that you get when the english text is
viewed with symbols font.).</P>
href="http://www.opensource.org/sco-vs-ibm.html">http://www.opensource.org/sco-vs-ibm.html</A></P>
> <P>More over, (What Reymond seemingly wasn't aware is that)
Caldera's employee had been working on Linux JFS project as a project
coordinator. Therefore, even if as sco claims there are offending
codes, it is likely that it is inserted by their own.</P>
> <P>Of couse, there are many other facts, (for example: sco owns one
flavor of unix not all flavours; unix had many parallel development
and so I don't see why sco own the license to AIX or HP-UX which are
by far superior to sco's own product) at least to me, that makes the
sco claim totally absured at best and out right dangerous at worst. </P>
> <P>EK</P></DIV>
> <DIV></DIV>>From: <RICKL-y59oiaX/9YQFLvimnDS8YA at public.gmane.org>
> <DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> <DIV></DIV>>To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> <DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Re: [TLUG]: SCO has valid case
> <DIV></DIV>>Date: 22 Aug 2003 20:27:53 -0000
> <DIV></DIV>>
> <DIV></DIV>>I was skeptical but they have a compelling case. In
the ppt there are
> <DIV></DIV>>"greek characters" on 2 pages which I had to sign an
NDA to view. To
<BTRAYNOR-ODvSUecGMNs at public.gmane.org>
> <DIV></DIV>>wrote :
> <DIV></DIV>>
> <DIV></DIV>> > rickl-ZACYGPecefkNbK0NzMECUg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> <DIV></DIV>> >
> <DIV></DIV>> > >I was at SCO Forum this week and viewed
some of the disputed code and
> <DIV></DIV>> > >SCO's explanations both without and with
NDA. They have a valid case.
> <DIV></DIV>> > >Linux kernel 2.4 to 2.6 contains AIX code
which allows scalability
> <DIV></DIV>> > >beyond that which would have been available
in a "regular development
> <DIV></DIV>> > >timeframe". Anyone interested in a copy of
the non-nda PPT let me know
> <DIV></DIV>> > >and I'll email you a copy. I've tried
several postings to the list
btraynor-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
http://tlug.ss.org
http://tlug.ss.org/subscribe.shtml
> <DIV></DIV>> > >
> <DIV></DIV>> > >
> <DIV></DIV>> > >
> <DIV></DIV>> >
> <DIV></DIV>> >
> <DIV></DIV>> >
> <DIV></DIV>> >
> <DIV></DIV>> >
> <DIV></DIV>>--
> <DIV></DIV>>The Toronto Linux Users Group. Meetings:
http://tlug.ss.org
> <DIV></DIV>>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below
80 columns
> <DIV></DIV>>How to UNSUBSCRIBE: http://tlug.ss.org/subscribe.shtml
href="http://g.msn.com/8HMZEN/2743??PS=">ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES.
</a> Get 2 months FREE*.</html>