6.2 vs. 7.3

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 13:15:08 UTC 2003

Tim Writer wrote:

>Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>More RAM will definitely help.

I agree.  I found that a RAM upgrade from 64MB to 192MB will almost
double your
overall performance.

>>    My first strategy for speeding things up is to run FVWM2 instead of
>>    Gnome or KDE.  There are a couple of other small window managers out
>>    there, but I have a long history with FVWM.  There are a couple of
>>    other FVWM freaks in this user group, so you can get help.
>>
>>    There was some talk about running an FVWM demo at one of the user
>>    meetings.  Is there any more interest in this?
>>

>Consider xfce4 instead.  It's a lightweight, functional desktop, reminiscent
>of CDE.

Also have a look at Fluxbox. It is a very simple yet powerful window
manager with a
right-click based menu system for starting applications and
configuration.  Great for
customized setups; it doesn't share Redhat's default menus.

---

Anton