6.2 vs. 7.3

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 20 12:50:15 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 09:47:32PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I have an acer p166 (64 MB RAM, awe32 sound card, trio s3 virge video
> card) which my daughter has been using for WordPerfect 8, MSN (gaim),
> music CDs and Internet. It had RH 7.3 and ran a little slow. I upgraded
> it to 8.0 to see just how slow it would run - and, ya, it was *too*
> slow. I think the hardware is better suited to  RH 6.2. That went on
> easily and everything seems a little faster. However, I can see I'll
> have to a lot of mucking around - no gaim, so I'll have to find
> something else that will run MSN, it liked my sound card but then
> announced that I'll have to compile sound support into the kernel,
> printing already gave me a little trouble. Problem is is that this is
> not a test/learning machine - this is my daughter's machine. I don't
> want to tell her she has to be off it for days and days while I learn
> about makefile, compiling the kernel (for the first time), etc. So, my
> question is: Is Rh 6.2 going to so much faster on this machine that's
> it's going to be worth my daughter being without a computer for a month
> while I try to get it to do what 7.3 will do right out of the box?
>
> Please, spare the other hundreds of people on the list, the "Gee, Chris,
> I know the answer to your problem - it's called Windows - embrace the
> Beaast."  comments - or at least send it offline - thanks.

The simple solution is, you don't want to run wordperfect or anything
like it, and not really much of X either on just 64MB ram.  If you could
get a hold of more ram to get 128MB total it would run much much better.
Used ram shouldn't be too hard to find unless it uses weird ram.  Should
be under $50 to upgrade it I imagine.

Lennart Sorensen