City of Toronto using Linux (on the desktop, yet!)

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 12:41:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> http://www.itworldcanada.com/index.cfm/ci_id/46194.htm

The Metro Ref library at 789 Yonge St has over 100 desktop computers,
all running windows.  (The TPL runs windows exclusively.)

Linux systems are cheap and easy; the IT staff at "Children's Services
Division" of the City know that already, as reported by itworld.

Windows systems are expensive to operate and maintain and may be a
primary cause of stress.  Perhaps this leads to road rage and spousal
or child abuse.

Shouldn't we, as taxpayers, invest in linux, and save ourselves and our
neighbours $$$ and stress?

A good place to start might be to ask for linux to be installed on one
computer in the Metro Ref.  This would be a prime location to educate
John Q. Public...

cheekily yours,
max.