Question re: Qmail and disk quotas

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 20 15:54:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Kevin Cozens wrote:

> If the user goes over quota and exceeds the grace period, they will no
> longer be able to create new files until they get back under the soft quota
> limit. If an account goes over quota for longer than the grace period how
> will this affect their incoming mail? Will qmail still deliver their mail
> in to their account or will it be bounced?

Can't speak specifically for qmail, but I have seen this situation with
another MTA.  The mail bounced with a 5xx series error (this is a
permanent failure), basically "User over quota".  You may like to look at
RFCs 2821 & 2822.

This is distinct from a situation in which the filesystem is full which
would normally fail with a 4xx error (transient failure).  In this case
remote MTAs will continue to attempt delivery as they would in any other
case when delivery was prevented.

> I don't have a user anywhere near their quota limits yet. I'm just checking
> on expected behaviour.

I'd suggest creating a test user, setting a low quota, forcing it over the
soft limit and mailing the account to actually cause the condition to
occur.  A test user is valuable for this sort of thing.  When not in use
for testing the account should be locked.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net