Multiple installations

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 12:27:12 UTC 2003

When it comes to PC hardware, I really don't, therefore I have what's
probably a ridiculous question.

I set up a machine with a single hard drive partitioned to dual-boot
between NT Workstation and SuSE Linux.  I use my current Linux
installation for all kinds of volatile stuff: trying out various SW
packages, my own development projects....  I would like to have a
second, bootable Linux environment on that computer that would stay
relatively clean as a "production" server where I could demo stuff to
clients without wondering what my latest downloads mangled.

I've done this on Macs where it's as simple as adding another drive,
installing a second copy of the system, and choosing which
volume/partition to boot from.  With PCs, however, I've heard horror
stories from others about failing to boot because of number, location,
or size of a given partition...or master vs. slave drives.  Are there
warnings/guidelines for what I want to do?  (It sounds like it should
be a "just do it", but others' experiences make me nervous.)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714