update on + ?: /etc/apache/httpd.conf + Re:/etc/hosts

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 18 02:49:42 UTC 2003

Hi Fraser/Maddison,

Thanks for your answers.

I had had two ip entries in my /etc/hosts file on my local subnet machine.
While resolveip worked fine, ping did not;  the second/aliased address
returned "Network unreachable".

I then went with Fraser's suggestion, appended below, in which he suggests
that aliases all be grouped together on the same /etc/hosts line.
That worked, which allowed me to test multiple apache httpd virtual host
addresses.

I want to note this because the documentation at
httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts does not mention this at all.

Does this make sense to linux, or have I crossed wires unwittingly?
(vhosts + /etc/hosts)

cheers,
max.