TLUG vs Sympatico

Serge Kuznetsov sergey.kuznetsov-SuVT4Wdm/UHQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 13 20:30:14 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > Actually you can use multiple dsl providers at the same time and select
> > based on the pppoe parameters you set.  Your line is either DSL enabled
> > or it isn't, there is no choice of which equipment it plugs into.  That
> > is the whole reason they use pppoe in the first place.  It is to select
> > the other end of your tunnel.
>
> Isn't the DSLAM programmed to forward your stream to a certain IP, and
> there only ? I think it is. The end of the tunnel is not at the telco, it
> is the internet provider. You cannot 'go elsewhere' in-between, regardless

DSLAM sends data to specific ATM PVC. That configuration stored on Bell's
profile configuration server.  And then DSL router of specified ISP assigns
the specific IP and route for that PVC.

> of what pppoe or other programs try to do. Because there is no 'elsewhere'
> to go to. The DSLAM provides a point to point connection from your phone
> number's associated DSL interface at the telco to the provider. I have
> also never heard of someone being subscribed with more than one DSL
> provider on one phone line.

Sympatico modems mainly such a Ethernet extenders, based in DSL-like
technology.
It's not real DSL. IMHO, last modems recognize two modes, DSL and Ethernet
extension.

I could say I well know how it works from ISP side. =)

All the Best!
Serge.
Serge Kuznetsov
Network Programmer - Analyst