TLUG vs Sympatico

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 13 18:40:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Actually you can use multiple dsl providers at the same time and select
> based on the pppoe parameters you set.  Your line is either DSL enabled
> or it isn't, there is no choice of which equipment it plugs into.  That
> is the whole reason they use pppoe in the first place.  It is to select
> the other end of your tunnel.

Isn't the DSLAM programmed to forward your stream to a certain IP, and
there only ? I think it is. The end of the tunnel is not at the telco, it
is the internet provider. You cannot 'go elsewhere' in-between, regardless
of what pppoe or other programs try to do. Because there is no 'elsewhere'
to go to. The DSLAM provides a point to point connection from your phone
number's associated DSL interface at the telco to the provider. I have
also never heard of someone being subscribed with more than one DSL
provider on one phone line.

Peter