[GTALUG-Announce] At the GTALUG AGM: How we handle Internet services

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Nov 27 21:01:34 EST 2022

[Apologies if you received this message more than once]

Hello everyone,

By now you may have read or heard elsewhere about the announcement of the
Annual General Meeting (AGM) for the Greater Toronto Linux User Group
(GTALUG), to be held virtually <https://blue.lpi.org/b/eva-zjc-gjy-kgl> on
Tuesday December 13.

Along with other AGM business, we will be discussing how GTALUG goes
forward with our online services.

TL;DR: A number of the people who used to set up and run our online
services (mainly the website and mailing lists) have left the GTALUG Board,
and those who remain have neither the time to fix nor familiarity with the
tools currently running these services.

As Google has provided to GTALUG its nonprofit services which include full
access to commercial Google Workplace (formerly G Suite), the Board has
been investigating migrating some of our online services there.

While to some such a move would be controversial, the status quo is
unsustainable. So either we need new people to step forward to operate what
exists, or we need to move to a service -- provided free of charge -- that
can dramatically simplify operations.

The Board wants to have an open discussion on the issue before deciding,
and the issue will be raised at the AGM. We look forward to hearing your
views. While responses to this email will certainly be read, the full
discussion will take place at the AGM.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56