[GTALUG] Bash vs. ZSH WAS Re: Covids and other vaxxes Re: General Meeting Reminder

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 09:24:00 EDT 2024

On Fri, 27 Sept 2024 at 21:24, bitmap via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> But what about Linux? Idk. Is it bad Libre to use zsh? I feel like I should use bash on philosophical grounds but I like zsh so much more. I tried really hard to switch to bash.
>
> The grandmother of the guy who wrote bash is the original illustrator of the monopoly man and it only endears bash further.

There used to be a heated war between VI and EMACS users back in the
1980s and 1990s.  I ended up being on team `nvim` (a `vi` derivative),
but my stance has always been that you should use what works for you.
I use `nvim` but if you find `emacs` or `joe` or `nano` or `theia`
work better for you, who am I to tell you you should use something
else?  The same is true of ZSH, and I have to ask: why are you
second-guessing your own choices?  ZSH is a very good shell (probably
better for interactive stuff than Bash, and on par for scripting).
Apple uses it because it's MIT licensed and Bash is GPL3, which means
they can't ship Bash on their machines but they can ship ZSH.  But
it's still an open license, so I think you're good in that regard too.
I personally have approximately 30 years of learning invested in Bash
so I'm going to stick with it, but I say unto you: use what works best
for you.

PS If you have a Mac and want Bash, install Homebrew and use it to
install Bash.  But you probably already knew that.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com