[GTALUG] War story: Hardware bloat

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 15:36:39 EDT 2024

There are some spectacular videos of Chinese EVs and ebikes in the process
of catastrophic runaway explosions on Youtube. Metrolinx has banned some
non-CSA certified ebikes from entering their trains, after an ebike
exploded and destroyed a TTC train in 2023 Mar. If you buy any Chinese
device online, for example from Taobao or Alibaba, it may not be CSA
certified and thus a fire hazard, new or older. Lithium ion batteries
should have safety features to prevent spontaneous combustion, but
obviously this is not always the case.