[GTALUG] OT: Shots fired - heads up

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 07:31:15 EDT 2024

On Wed, Sep 11, 2024 at 1:57 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:40:23 -0400
> Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I see nothing in email (whether in Google Groups, groups.io or a
> > conventional list like GTALUG's) that isn't functionally done better on
> > Reddit (which allows people to "upvote" the most useful contributions) or
> > Discord (which includes streaming and virtual ad-hoc meetings) or
> WhatsApp
> > (which is super simple and most people have it anyway). All three of
> these
> > are free of cost to join or start a group of as many people as you can
> > gather. Discord also supports  Markdown formatting which is easier to do
> > than the HTML in most emails.
> >
> > You're right, it is about the audience.
>
> I am over 40 and I use discord and read reddit each and every day...
>

> BUT, in the groups, specially the larger one's it is not easy to
> read/scan each and every post, more so, when, like in email, the thread
> devolves from Google being listed for abuse TO where do I think Glug chat
> should migrate to... I usually avoid even reading threads with many
> replies as
> I have no clue who would post anything useful, where in each reply (what I
> would find useful, not the 'crowd' - I read upvoted drivel many times each
> day
> and every times this happens I am sure I lose a braincell and seriously
> consider leaving whatever platform.
>
> In fact, if I had no interest in spam/abuse and email and only scanned the
> first post in this thread, I would not be even reading any of this on other
> platforms.
>
> I have also had this same discussion, in a few formats and it always ends
> the
> same way... (with everyone doing whatever they want to do :) )
>

> > As I said, this is a generational issue.
>
> hmm, maybe you are right, but maybe not for the reasons you think?
> I recall my first 'smartphone' a Nokia brick, but I could ssh into my
> servers (the Nokia had a shell) I could do IRC and so many things mobile.
> I also recall using my own first self written App, 2008? (three years
> after
> selling the Linux distro I made) App's were so cool, and surely now
> email would become useless. Point I am trying to make is that I
> used to be one of the charge leaders on 'email is now finally dead' :)
>
> > Email works great for people over 40, because it's comfortable and they
> > grew up with it.
>
> Maybe you are right. maybe email is also now comfortable for me. I did not
> grow up with it though. I used IRC way before using email. Email always
> seemed to 'clunky' and just too much :)
>

> > For younger people who grew up with smartphones and apps it's a very
> > different story.
> >
> maybe. but it does not mean that technically one should promote mobile
> tech.

> [...]
Hmmmmmmmm - - - been following the thread - - - - I'm thinking that its not
that email is dead or dying, its not that attention span has been
decreasing
(although not training ourselves to think and learn really is increasing
the
level of helplessness in our society) I think the real problem is that we
have
or are most definitely forgotten how to communicate - - - because we really
don't!!!

The idea with writing is that one can communicate - - - have worked with
those
that can read anything unless it is printed (wow - - - huge handicap!). Now
one gets notifications for most everything - - - why - - - because it makes
one feel good - - - is that what communication is all about - - - feeling
good?!!?

So - - - can we change the direction of the thundering herd?

(I think that that is the crucial question - - in point of fact!)

Regards