[GTALUG] OT: Shots fired - heads up

ac ac at main.me
Tue Sep 10 04:53:24 EDT 2024

Usually when google or microsoft does really weird stuff the large RBL
do not penalise them the same as everyone else.

But, it seems the tide may be shifting...

Just today, Microsoft has been sending out these "we have videos of you doing weird
sexual stuff and pay money"  and Google cloud has been sending out UBE to
literally purchased/stolen/trojan data (and maybe doing other stuff that I do
not knwo of or do not have data for - for the two mentioned things I do have
my own hard data...)

So microsoft has picked up some serious listings today but what is interesting
is that SpamCop has now started listing @google servers

I know that many on this list trust & use @google, but heads up: Me for one,
drop (silently) on spamcop listing... (so some things from some @google places
will not be read and may just disapear into /dev/null)

example:
https://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/209.85.166.74.html

Hopefully both huge players will step up and take actual action
against their (sometimes large corporate) abusers, but probably not.

Notably the past few weeks many interesting things have been happening
in the Interent abuse field, I see that many services are publishing data,
downgrading and treating large esp's like everyone else...

I read in a thread here recently that email is dead, I have been hearing that
same thing for 30? years now and always for different reasons.
But volumes of actual transactional email has seen exponential growth, year
on year, with not even a hint of any decline in the growth itself. What has
declined in email is some application stuff, like mailing list usage.
In many areas use has grown, notably 2f, id and business use has
risen, (among some uses) anyway ymmv.