[GTALUG] Windows eats Fedora installation sticks

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Sep 4 11:43:40 EDT 2024

Old news, I know.  But I've been burned again.

A Fedora installation USB stick, prepared by dd-ing the .iso file onto the
raw stick works fine.

But if you have that stick in the computer, and Windows sees it, it will
drop a few bytes on it.  The result is that the stick cannot be used to
boot Fedora (until you rewrite it).  Sheesh.

Why did it happen to me, when I know of the problem?  To run the stick,
during power on, I have to hit a key to get into the
choose-a-device-to-boot-from menu.  It's a race, and sometimes I lose.