[GTALUG] [PRIVATE] Re: access to iLO on HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sun Sep 1 22:36:17 EDT 2024

On 9/1/24 8:27 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2024 at 06:24:47PM -0400, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> A dead CPU is a possibility.
>> It would stop the system from doing much of anything.
>> Even with bad or wrong ram the system would try to boot and then fail with
>> lots of beeps.
>> trying to get IPMI/iLO working without being able to boot at all will be a
>> major task.
>> I believe that you can only change the IP address of the IPMI device once
>> the system is booted.
>> There is a jumper that can disable the passwords but it can be a pain to
>> find.
> I have had two systems refuse to even attempt to power on with bad ram.
> After removing the defective stick of ram the system powered on.
> Perhaps the ram had a short.  But it is definitely possible for a system
> that is otherwise fine to not even try to start if it has a defective
> component.

Hmmm.
While reworking a couple of systems I had ram issues but they partly booted.
At least enough to complain..

So I guess the moral of the story is that your mileage may vary.

Taking out all the ram and putting just a couple of sticks in may be a
good place to start testing.
Cycle through a few sets of ram to see if you get any joy.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||