[GTALUG] war story: fixing a Fedora installation that got broken during update

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Sun Oct 20 20:45:21 EDT 2024

On Sun, 20 Oct 2024 18:10:23 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Many people don't update their software.  They claim that it only brings
> grief.  I'm the opposite: I take any update offered in the hope it is an
> improvement.

Hugh,

   For the last fifteen years, I have had a cron job that automatically
updates my Fedora box on a regular basis.  I forget when it actually
runs.  I have had no problems,  I assume my security bugs are fixed.
The machine just keeps working.  Any problems I have had over the last
fifteen years have been due to hardware.

   There are hard drive tests out there.  Power supplies are my
nemesis.  These usually are the cause of erratic behaviour.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson