[GTALUG] Off-topic nostalgia: CorelDraw and WordPerect on sale

sciguy sciguy at vex.net
Sun May 5 16:07:06 EDT 2024

I found Corel WordPerfect was unstable - even compared with Windows 98's
wp. I could get some documents written in it, but I found myself using
the Windows 98 copy more often. I recall there was some irony expressed
at the time that WordPerfect originated as a Unix product, and its port
to Microsoft came after. The irony was that the port to Corel Linux  was
a port from Windows, not a port from Unix, meaning that it had to use
WINE libraries, which was the reason behind it being unstable. I think
they did that to save money. I recall the experience being "so-so" but
not "horrible".

The last really good version of Wordperfect for Linux, I remember, came
from before Corel obtained it, when it was part of a RedHat distro I had
and had to be installed using RPM. I recall it being an old version of
RPM that some years later I couldn't extract with a later version and
gave up on the idea. But it was comparatively much more stable.

Paul