[GTALUG] Off-topic nostalgia: CorelDraw and WordPerect on sale

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:35:42 EDT 2024

Hi all.

>From the and-you-thought-they-were-dead department:

I've come across an offer at a site I watch that piqued my interest: A
bundle of

   - The 2021 version of CorelDraw Essentials
   - A bunch of add-on brush patterns
   - Corel Painter 8
   - Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 25
   - WordPerfect Standard 2021

is going for CAD $41.23, with some proceeds going towards the Children's
Miracle Network Hospitals. Windows only, unfortunately, digital download.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/corel-productivity-creativity-essentials-software

The relevance to GTALUG is weak but exists. Once upon a time, Corel was a
great Canadian software success story, and for what seems like a very short
period of time was a massive supporter of Linux that actually produced its
own distribution. Its only hardware offering was a Linux box called the
Netwinder. At one time I thought the company was ready to offer a real
across-the-board challenge to Microsoft, then had a change of management
and lost all interest in that.

Anyway, much time has passed since those days when I learned that working
in vector graphics was more satisfying than pixels. I've long since moved
from CorelDraw to Inkscape (which happily reads .cdr files). And
WordPerfect? I'm just amazed that it still exists. I've kept all of the
vector clipart that shipped with early CorelDraw versions and sometimes
they come in handy..

Anyway... anyone who has an investment in Corel-specific skills that they
want to maintain may find this a good deal. For some of the rest of us that
can remember,
https://www.humblebundle.com/software/corel-productivity-creativity-essentials-software,
perhaps, a flash of nostalgia.

--