[GTALUG] reasonably powerful RISC-V SBC

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jun 23 15:19:14 EDT 2024

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
| Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Raspberry Pi as a desktop or settop computer

| | From: Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| | If anything, I am hoping to see the next generation of commonly-used
| | Raspberry Pi style experimenter boards to be using RISC-V instead of ARM.
|
| There are a bunch of them.  So far, most are inferior at the same price.
| I hope and expect that will change.

Here's a Banana Pi BPI-F3 with SpacemiT K1 8-core RISC V SoC.
You have to beef it up to be interesting but it starts with the bare
board with 4G of RAM and 16G eMMC for (currently) $100.  I think it is
a bit of a prototype.
<https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006953292960.html>

I don't think that it is as good as a Raspberry Pi 5.

I like the idea of RISC V (heck, I'm a member of the organization).
But the great thing about Linux is that you rarely care what the ISA
is.

The Orange Pi 5 might be a good alternative to the Raspberry Pi 5.
Much less support.  Not significantly cheaper (price is all over the
place).  Interesting processor: RK3588s.  Has an NPU, I think.
The Orange Pi 5 Plus is more expensive and has the RK35888.

Evan: what SBCs look better to you than the various Raspberry Pi
models?