[GTALUG] static IPs are available with TekSavvy Fibre

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 19:18:17 EDT 2024

On Sat, 8 Jun 2024 at 18:41, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 6/8/24 18:35, Val Kulkov via talk wrote:
>
> Large mail providers such as Gmail, outlook.com and yahoo.com already
> know if an email comes from a DHCP pool and if so they deliver such mail
> pieces straight to the recipient's spam folder.
>
> What about IPv6?  Rogers and Teksavvy hand out a /56 prefix.  That's 2^72
> addresses that are not DHCPv6, unless you make them that.  Normally, you'd
> use SLAAC and I don't know if those companies would have a list of
> subscriber prefixes.

Gmail requires that the IP address of a mail server resolves back to the
domain name specified in the SPF record of the mail domain. This is so for
both IPv4 and IPv6.

TekSavvy's easily agreed to make a rDNS entry in their DNS servers for my
static IPv4 address. For the IPv6 address of my mail server, they kept
saying they wouldn't do it for many years. But they agreed to do it last
year, possibly as an exception. So now I can send outgoing mail using both
IPv4 and IPv6 and the mail is delivered to inboxes, not to spam folders.

Those who consider setting up a mail server at home: setting up an SMTP
server is easy, but making sure that the email goes to inboxes and not to
spam is a really, really arduous job.