[GTALUG] static IPs are available with TekSavvy Fibre

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 18:35:56 EDT 2024

On Sat, 8 Jun 2024 at 18:06, Ron via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2024-06-08 14:56, Ansar Mohammed via talk wrote:
>
> > do they still block inbound/outbound SMTP?
>
> I cannot verify this, but it's to be expected that residential
> connections would block this feature.
>
> Otherwise, the ISP risks getting their IP range blocked by spam block
> lists should one customer become hacked, or otherwise misbehave.

Large mail providers such as Gmail, outlook.com and yahoo.com already know
if an email comes from a DHCP pool and if so they deliver such mail pieces
straight to the recipient's spam folder.

If your public IP address is in a DHCP pool, try checking its reputation
and you will see why it is not a good idea to host an email server on an IP
address from a DHCP pool:
https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
https://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/